It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:35 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Status Update: April 29 2017
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:22 pm 

Minecraft Name: Boomod
As of today, here is the status on what is going on with Ethicraft and my life:

1) I returned back to work at the beginning of April. Its quite an adjustment to make - starting there brand new would have been easier, because there are so many changes to the way things are done, steps to record things, people in different roles than before, things moved to new locations, and me working in a new group in the other half of the building than before. So many things done differently, that I have to try hard to forget all the old processes and learn the new ones that everyone else got to phase out one at a time...

Its probabably going to take me a while to still get adjusted to a lot of things, I feel like a snail doing the simplest jobs because of just trying to find things when I have no idea where stuff is. I get home from my ~1h commute each day feeling a mixture of excited and beat at the same time, but definitely not able to put my mind into coding most of the week. I really miss the old routine of returning home and hopping on the server to chat with folks, and poke at some plugins.. I can't wait until I have a server up and running so that I can lose myself into that world again during the week. I'm really regretting not pushing harder and harder in those last few months before returning to work.

2) The Server Host: I've been paying a modest but fair price for server hosting since last summer, because the company I went with was a startup from the former owners of the previous hosting company, the ones who did a great job and had a customer-chat system where I proved to be valuable help and earned free hosting eventually (until they sold the company and the new owners messed everything up)

Unfortunately, the new company never got a chance to take off in size as they were hoping (for minecraft) but are okay with different game servers. As such, they only have one technician who is able to address minecraft servers and especially the custom-control panel that they brought over from the old company. For the past several months, this technician has had tremendous health problems, and they have never been able to change me over to a more stable system. The web-interface site for the server had issues, and I have been unable for almost 5 weeks now to gain access to the server controls, to speak through the console, etc... Without access to the controls, I can not reboot and restart the server, so I can not shut it down and make updates either. And I have no idea how much longer this may continue, my tickets go unanswered since no one can address the problems.

Meanwhile, the company that took over a couple years ago, and initially honored my free service agreement for a year before removing the server -- it seems that when they moved a bunch of services to a new system, somehow reactivated mine, and I was granted a console access to a new unit that is functional. The down side to that company was the never-know point of having that server terminated, and their archetecture that included a database server in a remote area that routinely lost connection or went down for hours at a time and would kill the plugins with time-outs crashing the server...

Fortunately at this point in time, I don't have any plugins that depend on databases yet, but my master plan will and my development work I am continuing with will need it but I can utilize a few different solutions for development testing...

Since I am now faced with having to pay the bill for my server this weekend, and yet paid already for a month of non-service, and no idea how long this will continue, and am trying to honestly put motion forward now on the weekends towards getting more changes in place, I am going to need a functional server to update and add some off-shelf plugins onto to keep advancing the playtestability of the server, and a console to look at at night to feed off the enthusiasm of players.

So I think I am going to risk it, and shut down the server tonight (which will make it impossible for me to turn back on anyways) and then download all the maps and files from it, and then transfer it to the 'free' server I have, and we'll see how long I can run it there. In the meantime, I will also be seeking some less-uncertain server options out.

----
3) I'm going to go as far as hire a developer to create one of my plugins for me, it is one that I have very strict criteria for, and is the economy balance recording plugin for my two economy systems. Having someone else make it for $$ will get the job done, and give me something to then attach the off-shelf plugins into so that we can test out economy based plugins soon, as well as having the system in place for my plugins to link to without having to code it myself. I have more than enough work to do on the master plan design, and want to make that work and be play-testable as soon as possible, so taking all the nitty-gritty out of the fine-tuning systems will be fantastic and worth it I hope. I've drafted a complete project outline and am going to be making arrangements tomorrow.

==================

I am going to shut down the server tonight within a couple hours in order to copy and transfer all the files over, and I will re-direct the domain entries for it so that end users who are not hard-coding an ip address should be able to connect to it without much difficulty. The dns entry is already set to cache for only 15 mins at a time, so unless your IPS is being a dick and caching entries for 24h as some do, access should be relatively quickly once I point it to the new server later.

I hope that this is going to be the start of some big changes - one thing for sure I know, I really miss more than ever before, having the connection with people in the evening when I get home from work. And of having something to work on on the weekends other than chores around the house.

Post subject: Re: Status Update: April 29 2017
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:37 am 

Minecraft Name: TalFuller
As always bob and i eagerly await the return of ethicraft :) we will be there when you are ready to release a test server. ethi is, and will always, be the only vanilla server we play. we will be glad to help any way we can \o/

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:51 pm 

I am counting on a huge number of nostalgia players to start things out one day, as years pass by without the continuity.

But I'm not ready to give up yet. If after going all-out for closing in on what has been the plan for ages... and the server gets zero visitors then I may call it quits, but when its completed the plan, I think I'll be gungho to advertise and contact every address I have.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:03 am 

FYI I have moved the entire server onto the 'free' server that the old host company ended up reactivating me for, that was finished a few hours after this message. And the domain should be pointing to it, so it should be ready to continue.

The one thing I do notice though is that on this free server, despite being a 'good' sizable package, even with no one on line, with no real work going on on the server, the console is spitting out lots of "can't keep up - skipping n ticks" messages - suggesting that their hardware server is pretty taxed out. So likely in a couple weeks, I may just say "free, but not usable" and buy a new server elsewhere, but no point paying for a few weeks of things just sitting around.

I'm in the process of trying to upgrade each of the existing plugins to the latest release builds for sponge, since its been a few months, just to keep them going -- there have been some changes made to things that may impact stuff like tnt and fire tests in my plugins, and require some more testing, hopefully if anything, simplified coding...

I would really benefit from potential helpers adding me to skype.

Its the weekend, and I hope to use a lot of the hours for minecraft, despite having to catch up with a lot of tasks like yardwork and such. I am pretty certain that most weekdays, I won't have the mental energy when I get home to work on these coding projects, and am trying hard to do the physical tasks - laundry, outdoor work, etc depending on time I get home -- during the workweek to free up the weekend. But its going to take a while to really get into things yet.

But I also can feel that once I hit a certain point I'll have a momentum to keep going on one thing, so I'm looking forward to that. Also, once this plugin gets made that I'm trying to pay someone to do, that will open up the economy systems, and I can start adding some off-the-shelf plugins to test out and placehold, maybe even use on the final server..

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:34 pm 

Minecraft Name: supawupaa
Ive just finished my exams and thought I'd check up on the server, I really miss it, can't find a server as good, a community as fun and friendly and an owner as nice, caring and committed as here at ethicraft. Ive got 3 months holiday now and anything (literally anything) that I can do to help get the server back to its original glory, I will gladly do.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:45 pm 

Its all on me to get it up and going, I have a lot of coding to get through.

The good news is that a lot of the 1.12 features built into the game are right in line with a lot of the big ideas that I had needed to impliment, so Sponge will be providing a way for me to tap into those existing systems to make use of them without having to code a massive solution.

Within the next hour or so, I am going to be upgrading the playtest server to 1.12 version.

I have been testing it a while, the only plugin that was of absolute concern for me to be working initially is the autolock plugin, and everything seems to be just-fine, no errors in the server when using, no issues detected. Many of my other plugins will be ported over to it slowly, as many of them contain a lot of errors being thrown, but those require core fixes in Sponge.

I am going to be travelling to the UK for a week, and then possibly a few more days at the start of July when I return, elsewhere, plans have not been made yet for then, so sadly the server will be updated to 1.12 with minimal plugins to test for that time, but the 1.12 is also a very fast release version for sponge.

HOWEVER, I do have to WIPE the existing playtest map -- hey, its been 6 months almost, and players got a lot of fun into the first few months, but the server has been very quiet since.

The new map is going to be selected from a special seed for some adventure-time WOW effects.
And I'm hoping that groups of friends will be able to join for having some fun and try things out.
The server host itself is reverted back to my free system (a glitch caused the company to reactivate a free server for me) but the system is NOT a very good one, but every few more weeks that I delay from renting a commercial server that sits untouched saves me money for when I'm ready to push hard on it and people.

The 1.12 update is huge with LOTS of new blocks, mobs, etc -- "The World of Color" update.
The new spawn building will be reflecting that, I have much of it done in a test server, unfortunately a lot of it won't transport over properly with worldedit so it requires a LOT of manually patching things up and I was hoping someone might be able to help me with that this evening.

I will get the spawn setup, and then afterwards, force the map to pregenerate at a radius of 10k which should be a lot to explore. Hopefully someone can also help me setup some of the warps.